Sunday, May 7, 2017

Shakespeare Sonnet #130

We are learning about Shakespearean Sonnets. All of us! 
Have I mentioned that this is my first year teaching 8th grade English?


Have you read this sonnet?



Yesterday my students analyzed the structure of this poem: 14 lines in iambic pentameter with a specific rhyme scheme (ABAB/CDCD/EFEF/GG).

Then they talked about it. They said such insightful things! My favorite comment went something like this: "I think it's beautiful that he can see all of her imperfections, and still celebrate his love for her."

Now that's a love poem!


***************************************
GUEST BLOGGERS


Movie Review
I recently watched the movie Middle School: The Worst Years Of My Life. I really liked this movie because I am still in middle school and at this age nobody likes rules. I first wanted to watch this movie because an actress I knew played a role in this movie. I really liked the character Jeanne played by Isabela Moner. Jeanne was a good girl in the movie, the one who followed the rules and volunteered for anything. She was your typical good girl, straight A’s student. The main character, Rafe, had recently gotten his drawing notebook thrown in a tub of acid by the principle, the antagonist. Seeing all of his drawings that took hard work and time in his life go down the drain, he wanted revenge. He planned to break every rule the school had. While breaking these rules he had to have a partner in crime, his “best friend” Leo. Aside from trying to break all the rules he had family problems, girl problems, and his own personal problems. This movie contains comedy, emotion, and a little romance. I recommend this movie because not only is it funny but it is also age-appropriate.

-Ariel L   

Two Truths and A Lie
  1. One Elective I did for 7th grade was a semester class called STEM. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. In STEM you do projects like making robots, learning how to code, and creating paper nets. My favorite part in STEM was making robots and coding them so they can move.
  1. Another Elective I did for 7th grade that was also a semester-long class was art. In art you learn about how to improve your art works and other fun projects as well. My favorite project in art was the chalk walk. The drawing I did in the chalk walk was based on a Clash Royale theme.
  1. On my phone I play this game called Clash Royale. Clash Royale is my favorite game to play on my phone. Clash Royale is a strategy game. The goal in the game is to destroy your enemy towers first. My favorite card in the game is the miner which travels underground and then pops out and attacks.

-Evan A.


Movie Review- The Fault In Our Stars

I know I'm a little late, but last week I watched The Fault In Our Stars with my best friend. Since almost everyone knows what it's about I won't do a summary. I just want to share my favorite parts and what I liked about it. What I liked most about the movie is that it stayed true to the book. I watched the movie first, and relaxed while reading the book that it's almost exactly the same. In most movies, besides the title, you wouldn't know that it was based on the book because it strays so far from the book. Also I love that it's not predictable in anyway. I can usually know what is going to happen in the first 25 minutes of the movie, but in T.F.O.S if was completely left on my toes. Now you can probably tell I would give this an infinity (hahaha! get it) out of ten.
P.s don't feel bad if you cried, I was balling for the last 30 minutes.

Iyanah B


Two Truths and a Lie
  1. When I was 9 years old I got lost at the Westfield Galleria mall in Roseville. I was lost for so long that the police had to call my name on the mall loud speaker and my mom had to come get me. Afterwards I got in trouble.
  2. I have never been out of the United States. I was born in Massachusetts and moved to Sacramento when I was three years old. At the age of seven I moved to Chico and attended Emma Wilson Elementary where I met most of my friends that I have today.
  3. At the end of sixth grade my friend invited me to her pool party. While we were having fun, an old friend stopped by and came swimming with us. They all were running around my friend Ally’s pool and someone ran into this girl. The girl fell and hit her head on the cement. She had to get an ice pack and sit out.
Ariel L.

1 comment:

  1. The mural looks wonderful! What a great job by all those involved.

    ReplyDelete

Show good digital citizenship.
Remember your audience.
Comments without first names will not be posted.