1. Have you seen a cobra?
No, but I heard one slither away.
2. What are your hobbies?
Reading, writing, drawing, theater, and games.
3. Can we see a picture of Olivia’s family?
No. Most of them are dead. But I am attaching a picture of me with Olivia.
(This was taken right after the typhoon. Typhoon Dujuan. I made up a snack and called it Typhoon du Jour. Ask your teacher to explain the name.)
4. How many friends have you made?
5. What kind of foods are there in Taiwan?
A lot. You name it, we’ve got it. The name of my favorite restaurant is Red Thai. It’s super fancy. I love to eat the chicken and the shrimp cakes (triangles) and the fish. The craziest name of a restaurant we’ve seen is “Monkey Eat Braised Meat.”
6. Do you eat bugs in Asia?
Yes. I also eat chicken hearts.
7. What’s it like at school?
It’s bipolar. Sometimes it’s great; sometimes it’s not.
8. Are there pandas and bamboo there?
There are pandas at the zoo, but not in the wild. But there is bamboo everywhere. (There are monkeys though, but we haven’t seen any yet. Which is a good thing. They can be dangerous.)
9. Have you had a chance to see the animals there?
There are so many kinds of bugs and geckos and frogs. We live on campus near the farm part. Cows, pigs, ducks, chickens, geese, swans, peacocks (including an all-white one), and chickens. My mother has made friends with a goat.
10. Do you like Pokemon?
Yes. I have a couple thousand cards and every single DS game since 2010.
11. What are the stores like in Taiwan?
The big grocery stores are really big. They’re like mini-department stores. When you walk in, before you even see the supermarket part, there are counters and sections that sell clocks or cameras or phones or clothes or shoes or bedding. The one closest to us has a Japanese store inside the Taiwanese store. There is a haircut place called, Speed. For $100 NT, which is about $3 USD, you can get a haircut. For the same price, you can get a massage for 10 minutes. There are people who mend clothes at stations in the big grocery stores. There are pharmacies. Food courts.
12. Who is your best friend?
My best friend is Drew. (And my mom’s best friend is his mom. Weird, huh?)
13. What do the classrooms look like?
I go to a fancy private American school and it mostly looks the same.
14. What is the coolest car you have seen in Taiwan?
A BMW 2015 concept car. The car looked like the Delorean from Back to the Future movies but only more modern.
15. Can you send us some pictures of snakes?
No. We haven’t seen any yet.
16. How many pets do you have and what do they look like?
My pets are back in California—a cat named Edison and a dog named Abbey Road Studios.
17. Do you have to wear uniforms to school?
Yes, but only every other day, “B” days. We’re on block schedule.
18. Is it hard for you to understand in school?
No, because I go to an American school, so the teachers teach in English. But, most of the kids speak in Chinese (Mandarin) so whenever they get the chance, they speak in Chinese and I feel left out.
19. Are you ever coming back to Chico?
20. What is the weather like?
Hot and muggy one day, cold and rainy the next. (From September to last week, it was super hot.)
21. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Yes, I have a sister. Her name is Sophie. She is 18. She is in college in Wisconsin. I have a friend whom I consider a sister, name Lucía. She is in Chico.
22. Do you play any sports?
I’m a swimmer. And a dodge ball player. (But I’m on the DL now.)
23. What do you miss about the United States?
24. Do the buses really have TV?
Yes. They do. My bus is swankadoodle. It’s like a fancy tour bus. TVs. Lace curtains. Every Thursday I get free breakfast on the bus. But my bus picks me up at 6:40 a.m. and I don’t get off the bus until 4:30.
25. What is your favorite football team?
Uh. Next question.
26. Do the people speak English?
A lot of people speak at least some English, but not all.
27. Do the teachers hit people with rulers?
28. Can we see a picture of your family?
Yes. This is from our Christmas card last year. Before I dyed my hair for a play I was in at Chico State, (The Will Rogers Follies). The “temporary” dye still hasn’t washed out yet.
29. How many countries have you visited?
USA, Mexico (2x), England, Scotland, France, Spain (2x), and Taiwan.
Last Wednesday I fell down stairs trying to get away from a dodge ball at school and hurt my knee very badly. I had to go to 3 hospitals in 2 days. I went in an ambulance. For a while they thought I needed surgery. But I didn’t. Today I returned to school, in a taxi, after being home for 5 days recovering. I came home on the bus. Using a wheelchair and crutches.
SUPER STAR STUDENTS
These kids make every day bright!
My famous person was born on September 25, 1968. He is 47 years old. He did his first acting on 1990. In my opinion he is one of the best actors. Some of the best movies that he acted in were “Independence day”, “After Earth” where his son was part of it too, and “I am legend.” His wife was born in September 18, 1971. His son was born July 8, 1998, and his daughter was bornOctober 31, 2000. They called him “the most powerful actor in Hollywood.” He’s been nominated for 5 Golden Globe awards, 2 Academy Awards and 4 Grammy Awards.
Question of the Week
This week I asked my mom if she enjoyed tomb night at school. She said, “Yes,Tomb Night was an awesome experience and the displays were very educating. The effort and amount of work was amazing and creative.” I also asked her what her favorite part of tomb night was. She said, “My favorite part of Tomb Night was the amount of participation the teachers contributed with their costumes and the amount of enthusiasm they showed to the families.” Then I asked her if she had a favorite display. She said, “Besides yours, I liked the sunset over the pyramid display. It really gave a sense of Egypt at sunset, an astonishing feeling captured within the student’s art work.”
2 Truths and a Lie
1. I used to live in the country with my mom, Christy, and 3 siblings, a brother and two sisters. We have a lot of farm animals. 2 pigs, 3 cows, 5 horses, 2 dogs, and 1 cat. My cow died a year ago.
2. I play soccer for the Oroville Youth Soccer Club. My mom is a coach. She has been coaching me for about 5 years now. I have been playing for 7 years now. Last year we got first place in tournaments. We lost tournaments this year. We also tied for 3rd place. On our team we had one girl from school play soccer.
3. I play soccer, football,and basketball at school. At the beginning of the year, the boys would not let me play. Then it changed because I asked for help, and they let me play. Every lunch recess I either play basketball or football. I love playing sports. It is my life