Thursday, April 6, 2017

Academic Support

I have had the privilege of teaching a small group of students this year who need a little extra time and help to get their work in and keep their grades up. My class has been as small as 6 and as big as 16.



We have had highs and lows. Here are some of them:

Mrs. Davis- My high has been our field trip to Christine MacShane's art studio where my students created painted canvases of their own. Beautiful, imaginative, original. My low was some of the challenging behavior that students displayed (especially at the beginning of the school year). Time and continued dedication to building relationships helped me overcome the difficulties, and now I love them all!

Rebecca- A low I had was always having anxiety about my grades and what everyone else thought about me. I didn't have many friends, and it was hard for me to talk to my teachers because I never really had anyone to talk to about my feelings. I had a hard time coming to school because all summer I was so depressed that I slept all day. My high is I overcame being depressed and stressed about my grades and stuff at home. I started to look at things differently and positively instead of looking at things in a bad way.

Tyler- My high was when we went on a field trip to Butte College and the Lineman's College because it gives you an idea about where you want to go to school later in life. That way you're not wandering around aimlessly wondering what you're going to do after high school. My low is not turning my work in most of the time and getting bad grades for it.

Amanda- My high is that I have a teacher that I have a relationship with and that we went on a field trip to Butte College where we stopped to look at art. My low is that at the beginning I had a really bad attitude with a lot of my teachers, but I've learned to work on respecting people.

Lucie- My low this year was the beginning of the year when I was convinced that I couldn't get my grades up, and I didn't want to. I didn't think I was capable of making the changes in my life that needed to be made in order for me to have better relationships with my friends and teachers and people around me constantly. I didn't think anybody cared about my success. I thought the teachers were just doing their job because they had to. Then towards the middle and end of the year, I started to get my grades up. I wasn't in trouble as much with my parents, and the motivation kicked in. I didn't want people to call me stupid anymore. I knew that I was smart, but I didn't feel like it was worth it. Now, I feel like I can come into class and not feel so stressed out. I can talk to Mrs. Davis about what is going on in my life. It makes me feel like I matter to the people in this classroom and the teachers at this school. It's a really nice way to start my day.

Nicolle- A high I had is when we went to Chico State. We got to see glass blown in a class. That was my favorite part. My low was when I first came to this class in the beginning because I didn't know anyone. I was shy. Now I know more people in this class and I don't feel shy anymore.


**************************************************

GUEST BLOGGERS

Two Truths and A Lie


1. Last summer I went to a party for one of my friends. It was a party at the Sky High. It was the best party ever. There were trampolines all over the place basketball hoops. We had a basketball game because we brought a basketball. We played for one or two hours. We were dunking and doing crazy passes. It was a fun birthday.


2. We were about to play a basketball game. I was ready to go but none of my shots would go in. I thought I was going to miss every shot. I was not in the best mood at the very beginning of the game but when I took my first shot of the game and I made it. After that I made every shot. I think I had 16 points that game, I made a lot of threes and made all of my free troughs.


3. When I was in 6th grade I was the type of kid that stayed inside for the whole day. When I got home, I did not really like to go outside. But when I was in seventh grade all of that changed. Every day I would get home from school, grab a basketball and go to my front yard to shoot hoops. I realized that I wanted to be a basketball player, so I practiced hard every day. Now I play for Chico Jr basketball team.


Marcos B


Question of the Week:



I asked my friend, Amanda, “What is your everyday routine?”
She said, “Usually, I get up and lay on the couch with my blanky then I eat cereal. My favorite is Krave chocolate. Then I take a shower and use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner. I follow with oil free pomegranate flavor face wash. I then get out and dry myself off and put my clothes on. Then comes the embarrassing part, I pretend like i'm a youtuber and start my fake makeup tutorial. I start with foundation and apply it on the basic surface areas of my face, forehead, the bridge of my nose, cheeks, under eyes, and jaw. Then I take my concealer and conceal my under eyes and blend it out with my blender after applying it with a brush. Then I set my concealer and foundation and occasionally bake my face and after 5 min, I dust off the excess powder, following with using dipbrow to fill in my arch and Too Faced mascara and eyeshadow. I go for a more natural look so I don't apply lipstick but sometimes I’ll use a little gloss or use chapstick, and yeah then I go to school.”
Lucie D.

Two Truths and A Lie



1. Last summer I got my first phone. I had an iPod before I got my phone. I like my phone a lot more than my iPod. The first phone I had was the iPhone SE. The SE was created by Apple because of the errors in the iPhone 6 & the 6s. After this completion the SE is now the superior phone. The new SE has the same capacity as the 6 & 6s but in a compact size.
2. Last year for my birthday me and my family went on a vacation to Fort Bragg. We stayed in this big hotel right next to the ocean for one week. That week every night when I was falling asleep, I could hear the waves crashing against each other. We went to the beach every day. Being on the beach made my birthday great.
3. Last summer I went to a water park with my family. The water park was called Raging Waters. When you first walk in, it may look small because you can only see three or four rides. When you walk past those rides, you will then see a lot more rides. Me and my sister rode every ride. There was one ride that was extremely tall, long and super scary. Me and my sister were walking up the stairs, when we looked down we both had second thoughts, but we still continued up to the top of the ride. When we got to the top of the slide, we told each other that we should just go for it and don’t think about it. We both went down the slide and never went on it again.

Marcos B.


Favorite Class



My favorite class is math. I really enjoy math because it always has me thinking. For example, when I am is science, english, or history, I don’t really concentrate the same as I do in math. I like math because it has always been my strong subject in school.  Although I am good in all of my other classes I can’t really focus on them as well I can in math. In science I am not really into atoms and how a liquid turns into a gas and all of the steps in between that. I am not very good at english because I am not a very good writer and not a very good reader. You would think it would be easy to write a couple of paragraphs for me but my first language is Spanish. English is not the same as Spanish, it is more difficult for me. I am not really good at History because, I am not good at remembering the states, or the history of the Greeks, thing like that. When I am in all of my other classes I can’t seem to focus as well as I can in math. For me math is fun and always as me thinking. That is my favorite class and why I like math more than all of my other classes.


Marcos

1 comment:

  1. I'm new to the class and my high is that I have teachers willing to give me extra time to work on makeup work. My low on the other hand is that I get distracted way to easily to the point where I hardly get anything done.

    ReplyDelete

Show good digital citizenship.
Remember your audience.
Comments without first names will not be posted.